TASH is hosting a six-part webinar, “Creative Solutions to the Community Living Crisis“, 1:00 PM Eastern on Fridays, from February 21st through April 3rd.
Supporting people with disabilities to live in the community and live valued lives is a rapidly changing field of work. It is often difficult if not impossible to keep up with all changes.
- What is the Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) rule and why is it important?
- How is the HCBS rule changing and what could happen to it?
- How do you find housing for individuals when rents are increasing so much faster than people’s income?
- How do you provide support to people when you can’t find Direct Support Providers to work?
- Are there ways to apply technology to supplement DSP support?
These are just some of the questions we will be exploring in this six week series. This series covers some of the hot topics and challenges supporting individuals to live quality lives in the community. We will begin with the revolutionary Home and Community Based Services Settings Rule. What is it and how has it changed? We will explore how to make “the rule” a reality. Next we will examine the current housing crisis. What are the real requirements of accessibility? We will begin looking at creative solutions for finding, keeping and developing accessible housing. And finally, our country is also facing a crisis of direct support professionals who provide the day-to-day support to those who experience disability. What are the implications of a workforce shortage? What changes need to happen to “fix” this problem? How are innovative providers finding and keeping good DSPs and using creativity and technology to extend the capabilities of the ones they have?