Though the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed over 30 years ago, many young adults with disabilities do not understand the law and how it affects them. Special Education personnel and employment specialists are in an ideal position to provide critical information on the ADA to youth transitioning to postsecondary life. Join this 90 minute session to learn the answers to these questions and more:
- What do young people with disabilities need to know about reasonable accommodation?
- What are the differences between the ADA, IDEA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and how do these differences effect the transition process?
- Is customized employment considered a reasonable accommodation? – When is the best time for a person to talk to their employer about their disability?
- What happens when a young adult doesn’t want to talk about his/her disability to the employer?
- What do parents of transitioning youth need to know about the ADA?
- Have an understanding of the key employment provisions of the ADA.
- Be able to discuss the options for disclosing a disability to an employer.
- Understand the differences between the ADA, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as they apply to youth with disabilities.
- Be able to identify 3 resources on the ADA to add to their toolkit to assist transitioning youth.
Continuing Education Recognition:
- Applications have been approved for Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC).
- The series subject matter aligns with the Certified Employment Support Professional (CESP) Content Outline.
- Certificates of completion are available for all sessions.
- TransCen provides captioning for all our webinars.
- All webinars are recorded and available for later listening.
- Special pricing is available for groups of 10 or more. Contact email@example.com for more information or to register your group.
- Registrants outside the United States, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This session will be broadcasted via the GoToWebinar platform. A telephone option for audio is also available.